The period under 1 month old, especially at birth, is the time when babies are most sensitive to the surrounding environment. The first 7 days after birth or 1 week of age is the time to help children get used to the environment. If the baby is not properly cared for, the risk of death is very high. Therefore, in order for mothers to grasp the skills they need to know when first becoming a mother , Cleanipedia will provide detailed instructions to help you best protect the health of your baby:
How to hold a newborn baby
The musculoskeletal system of a newborn baby is still very soft, so you need to pay attention to how to properly hold a newborn and be very careful.
– Use one hand to support the head and neck, the other hand to support the buttocks and hold the baby close to your lap.
– Touch and cuddle to create affection between parents and babies, and also help children’s senses develop.
– When placing your baby on the bed, you should not use a pillow that is too high, it will affect the bones of the child.
Note: do not shock, shake or give the crib too strong to hurt the baby’s body.
The correct way to hold a baby is to support the head and neck with one hand, and the other hand to support the buttocks and hug it close to the lap, creating a feeling of protection and protection.
Breastfeeding a newborn baby
When a baby is born, the body as well as the stomach of the baby is very small, so it can only hold 30-90ml of milk at a time. In the 24 hours after the baby is born, you should feed your baby about every 2-3 hours, there will be changes depending on the baby’s condition. You also need to pay attention to signs when your baby is hungry such as crying loudly, sucking, smacking his lips, turning his head to look for the mother’s breast, …
Do not let the baby lie down and suckle at the same time as it will cause the baby to choke and spit up milk . After feeding, your baby needs to be burped to make his tummy comfortable. You can let your baby rest on your shoulder, support her bottom, and pat her back. Mothers also do not need to worry when the baby hiccups in the first 24 hours of birth, because this is a normal phenomenon.
Absolutely do not let the baby lie down and suckle because it is easy to choke, let the baby stand upright and lean on you
How to take care of a newborn when bathing and cleaning the umbilical cord
When it comes to how to take care of babies, parents absolutely must not neglect to clean the baby’s body and navel area. Taking care of the umbilical cord as well as bathing the newborn is done according to the following steps:
The navel is the primary gateway for neonatal infection. Parents should wash the navel daily with physiological saline or a specialized cleaning solution. Then, dry with a sterile cotton ball and cotton swab. After cleaning the navel should not apply anything to the navel and should leave the navel open so that it dries quickly and falls off easily.
– When bathing the baby, parents need to prepare clothes, towels, bathrobe for the baby, eye drops, nose and cotton swabs. After bathing, the baby has something to use immediately to avoid cold or wind. Parents should bathe their baby with a low-alkaline baby soap. Gently wash your hair and thoroughly bathe the creased areas such as the neck, armpits, groin, and genital area. Then dry the baby’s body and head, put on clean clothes, drop the baby’s eyes, nose and ears. As for bathing time for babies , parents do not necessarily have to bathe their babies every day, especially on days when the weather is too cold.
Bathe and clean the navel with low-alkaline baby soap to ensure skin safety
Care for the skin and hygiene of the baby’s mouth, tongue, ears and nose
Newborn skin is very vulnerable to damage and infection. The right way to care for babies is to choose skin care products that are low in alkalinity, gentle and do not cause eye irritation. Parents should apply lotion and use specialized talcum powder for areas prone to skin rashes.
For eyes, nose, mouth and tongue, parents should regularly drop eye drops, nose and mouth wipes after bottle feeding. This needs to be done regularly to avoid bacteria buildup that causes unpleasant illnesses and affects your baby’s health.
The skin, mouth, tongue, ears and nose are the places you must pay attention and check regularly to avoid harmful bacteria
How to put on a hat, swaddling, gloves, and feet for babies
When the baby is born, the baby gets out of the mother’s body and learns to adapt to the outside environment. Therefore, the mother needs to keep the baby’s body warm. The right way to take care of a newborn is that mothers should pay attention to wearing a hat and swaddling the baby.
– Wearing a hat is extremely necessary. However, do not abuse the constant wearing of hats. Only when it’s cold outside do you need to cover your fontanelle. When your baby is indoors or in a sheltered place, keep his head cool. Because the baby’s body also has the ability to adapt itself, if the baby wears a tight hat, the baby will be itchy, uncomfortable, and sweat a lot. This will lead to a high fever which is dangerous to the baby’s health.
– The wrong way to care for a newborn baby that parents often encounter is swaddling too warm or too tight. Many people believe that tight swaddling makes babies less startled, easier to sleep and sleep more deeply. However, scientific studies have shown that this action easily compresses the baby’s hip joints. At that time, the baby’s legs will be misaligned, directly affecting health and aesthetics. Not only that, tight swaddling is also the cause of the baby’s suffocation, suffocation and heat.
Parents should note that during this period, the baby’s skin is extremely sensitive. When buying hats, swaddling babies should choose soft fabrics, gentle on baby’s skin. Mothers should use fabric softener for babies after each wash to make the fabric softer and more breathable.
Children’s skin is fragile, so it needs protection, so it is essential to wear gloves, mittens and hats with soft and breathable materials.
Pay attention to your baby’s temperature
Along with the above newborn care methods, you must combine regular baby temperature measurement. A normal newborn baby temperature is 36.5 to 37 degrees Celsius.
– When the child has a temperature of 37.5 degrees Celsius : Please let the child wear loose clothes, do not cover the child with a blanket. In addition, the mother should increase the amount of milk to feed the baby more to help reduce the heat.
– When the child has a temperature higher than 38 degrees Celsius : At this time, the child has a fever, please conduct a cool wipe at the following locations: armpits, groin, forehead. If the child does not show signs of fever, you quickly carry the child to the nearest hospital or medical facility for timely intervention.
Regularly check the child’s temperature to know whether the body is hot or cold and promptly handle it