The period after shedding the umbilical cord in newborns is a sensitive period. Abnormal signs in the navel are warning of dangerous diseases. If any abnormal signs appear, it is best to take the baby to the hospital for examination.
Clean umbilical cord care immediately after birth and in the first few days after birth is effective in preventing umbilical cord infections.
Before and after caring for your baby’s umbilical cord, it is necessary to wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly. It is more convenient to take care of the baby’s navel right after bathing the baby, after bathing the baby.
Dry the baby’s body with sterile medical gauze, gently pat the baby’s navel area. It is not necessary to bathe the baby every day, when the belly button has not fallen off, it is recommended to bathe in the “Head” and “Legs” positions to keep the navel dry.
Then put on clean clothes for the baby, keep the umbilical cord dry clean by covering it with clean clothes or now, on the market, there are sterilized baby umbilical cord bandages, change one every day, Use an elastic bandage to wrap it lightly after a clean gauze pad has been placed on the umbilical cord that has dried.
Beware of abnormalities in the umbilical cord of a newborn
Newborn umbilical cord with pus
The signs are very clear: the umbilical cord is swollen, the baby’s navel has a bad smell, is wet, and has pus discharge. In mild cases of purulent umbilicus, mothers can take care at home by squeezing all the pus, using hydrogen peroxide to wash the baby’s umbilical cord, dry it, sprinkle with antibiotic powder, and then bandage it.
However, if the child has more severe symptoms such as high fever, stopped feeding, fatigue…, the mother should take the child to the hospital for timely examination and treatment.
- After the baby is born, the umbilical blood vessels including 2 arteries and 1 vein will collapse and become fibrous.
- However, if not properly cleaned, bacteria can enter the umbilical blood vessels, causing inflammation.
- If you notice that the abdomen below the navel is swollen, red, and if you stroke the abdominal wall in the direction from the pubic bone to the navel, there will be pus draining, the baby is at risk of umbilical artery inflammation. Opposite,
- If swiping from the sternum to see pus draining, the baby’s risk of umbilical vein inflammation is very high.
- In the case of newborns with umbilical vein inflammation, the bacteria can invade nearby areas such as the liver and bile, thereby leading to very dangerous sepsis.
Children with umbilical tetanus will have a fever, stop sucking, then stiffen their jaws, and have body spasms. If there is light or sound, the seizure symptoms will be more severe. In severe cases, the baby can have spasms leading to difficulty breathing and death.
- Although the umbilical cord falls off early, the baby does not have a fever, the umbilicus is not swollen and red, but if the leg area is still visible.
- The umbilical cord has yellow fluid, the mother should pay special attention. The baby is at risk of umbilical granuloma. If not treated in time, it can lead to an infection of the umbilicus .
In summary, the process of shedding the umbilical cord in a newborn baby long or slow depends on the location, health as well as hygiene and care of the umbilical cord. Mothers do not need to be too worried if the baby’s belly button falls out slower than the standard “schedule”.
However, if there are any abnormal signs, it is best to take the baby to the hospital for examination. Umbilical infection if not treated promptly can lead to many negative effects on the baby’s health.
How to prevent umbilical cord infection
- Right from birth, the baby should be in contact with the mother’s skin so that the baby can have bacteria residing on the skin that are non-pathogenic bacteria from the mother.
- Breast milk should be given to babies to provide antibodies against infections.
- During pregnancy, pregnant women should be vaccinated against tetanus to avoid tetanus in babies.
In addition to paying attention to the problem of umbilical cord infection, in the period from 0 to 1 month old. Parents need to take care of their baby more meticulously and carefully. Because the baby is very susceptible to many diseases due to the immature immune system. This is also the golden period to carry out tests and screenings to detect dangerous diseases. To protect the baby’s health, right after birth, parents need to:
- Early postpartum echocardiography detects congenital heart disease even when there are no cardiac abnormalities during pregnancy.
- Performing postpartum screening helps to detect dangerous diseases such as congenital hypothyroidism, G6PD enzyme deficiency, congenital adrenal hyperplasia, congenital hearing loss.